LIDO INSIGHTS | Tax Update: House Ways and Means Committee Tax Proposal | October 2021
By: William Coughlan
The House Ways and Means Committee released its preliminary budget reconciliation proposal late on September 13, 2021. This legislation is not final, and negotiations will continue in Congress.
Below is a summary of certain individual, estate and gift, and corporate tax proposals. You will notice that some of the proposals are different than the original Biden Tax Plan. There are also new proposals that were not reflected in the Green Book released by the US Treasury on May 28, 2021.
Individual Tax Proposals
- Increase the top marginal tax rate from 37% to 39.6% on taxable income:
- Married filing joint filers $450,000
- Head of household filers $425,000
- Single filers – $400,000
- Married filing separate filers $225,000
- Estate and trusts $12,500
- 3% surtax for taxpayers with modified AGI in excess of $5 million (or $2.5 million for married filing separately).
- Increase in the top rate for long-term capital gain and qualified dividends from 20% to 25% for gains realized after September 13, 2021, date of introduction.
- Applies to married filing joint filers with income over $450,000 (single over $400,000)
- Effectively 28.8% (25% + 3.8%, Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT))
- Gains realized prior to this date will still be taxed at previous preferential rates of 0%, 15%, and 20%, not including NIIT.
- Section 1202 Qualified Small Business Stock (QSBS) modifications:
- The 75% and 100% exclusion rates will not be available for taxpayers with AGI equal or exceeding $400,000.
- The 50% exclusion is available for all taxpayers.
- Expansion of Net Investment Income to include investment income received in the ordinary course of business for taxpayers with taxable income more than $400,000 (single) and $500,000 (MFJ).
- Section 461 Excess Business Loss (EBL) Limitation made permanent for non-corporate taxpayers.
- $500,000 business loss per year. Any remainder will be carried forward.
- Expansion of wash sale rules to include commodities, currencies, and digital assets.
- Retirement Accounts for high income taxpayers:
- High income taxpayers for retirement proposals taxable income limits:
- Single or MFS – $400,000
- MFJ – $450,000
- Head of households – $425,000
- Prohibits contributions to a Roth or traditional IRA when the value of the accounts exceed $10 million as of the end of the prior taxable year for high income taxpayers.
- Minimum required distributions mandatory for IRAs, Roth IRAs, and defined contribution retirement accounts following a year where the ending account balance exceeds $10 million for high income taxpayers.
- Minimum distribution is 50% of the amount by which the prior year aggregate traditional IRA, Roth IRA and defined contribution account balance exceeds $10 million.
- Elimination of back-door Roth strategy for high income taxpayers and prohibits all employee after-tax contributions in qualified plans, and after-tax IRA contributions, from being converted to Roth regardless of income level.
- High income taxpayers for retirement proposals taxable income limits:
Estate & Gift Tax Proposals
- Reduce the lifetime unified credit from $11,700,000 to $5,000,000 per individual.
- Treat sales between grantor trusts and their owners as a sale to a third party.
- Eliminate valuation discount for transfer of nonbusiness assets.
Corporate Tax Proposals
- Create graduated rate structure:
- 18% on the first $400,000 of income.
- 21% on income up to $5 million.
- 26.5% on income above $5 million.
- Modifications of Section 163(j) business interest limitation.
- Section 1061 carried interest changes:
- Extends the holding period required for gain to qualify for long-term capital gain treatment from 3 years to 5 years.
- Provision retains the 3-year holding period for real property trades or businesses. This also applies to individuals with AGI less than $400,000.
LTax will continue to keep you updated on all tax legislative and regulatory developments.
Lido Advisors, LLC is an SEC-registered investment adviser. Please note that SEC registration does not denote any particular competence or ability and no inference to the contrary should be made. For complete information on the services we provide and our fees, please review our Form ADV at adviserinfo.sec.gov, call (310) 278-8232, or mail us at 1875 Century Park East Suite 950, Los Angeles, CA 90067.
Past performance is not indicative of future performance. The information in this report is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the basis of an investment or liquidation decision. Nothing in this report shall be construed to be a solicitation to buy or offer to sell any security, product or service to any non-U.S. investor, nor shall any such security, product or service be solicited, offered or sold in any jurisdiction where such activity would be contrary to the securities laws or other local laws and regulations or would
subject Lido to any registration requirement within such jurisdiction. All content herein has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but is subject to unintentional errors, omissions and changes without notice, and is not warranted as to its accuracy or completeness. You should not rely on the information contained herein, and should rely solely on, and carefully read, the appropriate offering and related subscription materials relating to any specific investment product before making any investment decision.
Not all investments are suitable for all clients. It should not be assumed that any security listed or any recommendations made in the future will be profitable or without loss, including risk of loss of principal, or will equal any prior performance. All investments involve the risk of potential investment losses including the potential risk of loss of principal as well as the potential for investment gain. Further, the prior performance figures indicated herein represent portfolio performance for only a short time period and may not be indicative of the returns or volatility each portfolio will generate over a long time period. The performance of the portfolios should also be viewed in the context of the broad market and general economic conditions prevailing during the periods covered by the performance information. Any references to future returns/risk are not promises of the actual return the client portfolio may achieve. Before investing, investors should seek financial advice regarding the appropriateness of investing in any securities of investment strategies discussed. Not all investments are suitable for all investors.
The information herein is not legal, such as trust or estate planning, advice, or tax advice. Any such information is provided for illustrative purposes only and must not be relied upon without the benefit of the advice of your lawyer and/or tax professional. Lido specifically disclaims any liability from any reliance on such information. Lido is not a legal service provider or tax professional and does not offer legal or tax advice. Should you desire to obtain tax or legal services or advice, you must enter into your own, independent
engagement agreement with a licensed attorney or tax professional.
Lido specifically disclaims any and all liability arising from the information or illustrations presented in these materials and is not responsible for the consequences of any decisions or actions taken as a result.