LIDO INSIGHTS | Green Book Hot Topics: Individual Tax | September 2021
The U.S Treasury Department recently released the 2021“Green Book”. This is a 114-page explanation of the tax proposals in the Biden Administration’s FY 2022 budget. Although there are still many unknowns, below is a summary of the notable topics for individual tax proposals.
1.) Capital Gains Tax Increase
- Increase capital gains tax to ordinary rates for taxpayers with adjusted gross income (AGI) over $1 million.
- 39.6% + 3.8% = 43.4% (37% + 3.8% = 40.8% in 2020)
- Retroactive date to Date of “Announcement” – April 28, 2021.
- Example from Green Book:
- Wages of $900,000, Capital Gains of $200,000.
- $100,000 taxed at 20%.
- $100,000 taxed at ordinary rates (amount OVER $1 million AGI).
2.) Ordinary Income Tax Rate increase
- Rates to increase from 37% to 39.6% for taxpayers with taxable income over:
- Single: $452,700
- Married Filing Jointly: $509,300
- Proposal date after 12/31/2021.
3.) Tax on Unrealized Gains upon Gift or at Death
- Treat transfers of an appreciated asset, either at death or by gift during life, as an income realization event.
- Exemptions apply:
- $1 million exemption per taxpayer.
- $250,000 exemption for all residences per taxpayer.
- Transfers to U.S. spouse or charity.
- Qualified small business stock exemptions apply.
- Family-owned businesses – payment of tax on appreciation would not be due until the interest in the business is sold or the business ceases to be family-owned.
- Exemptions apply:
4.) Other Important Topics
- Eliminating 1031 like-kind exchanges with gains in excess of $500,000 ($1,000,000 married filing jointly).
- Expand the Net Investment Income Tax and Self-Employment Contributions Act taxes for pass-through entity owners
- Pass-through business income of high-income taxpayers to be subject to either Net Investment Income Tax or Self-Employment tax.
- Taxpayers with AGI over $400,000.
Sources :“The Green Book” General Explanation of the Administration’s Fiscal Year 2022 Revenue Proposals https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/tax-policy/revenue-proposals
Lido Advisors, LLC is an SEC-registered investment adviser. Please note that SEC registration does not denote any particular competence or ability and no inference to the contrary should be made. For complete information on the services we provide and our fees, please review our Form ADV at adviserinfo.sec.gov, call (310) 278-8232, or mail us at 1875 Century Park East Suite 950, Los Angeles, CA 90067.
Past performance is not indicative of future performance. The information in this report is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the basis of an investment or liquidation decision. Nothing in this report shall be construed to be a solicitation to buy or offer to sell any security, product or service to any non-U.S. investor, nor shall any such security, product or service be solicited, offered or sold in any jurisdiction where such activity would be contrary to the securities laws or other local laws and regulations or would
subject Lido to any registration requirement within such jurisdiction. All content herein has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but is subject to unintentional errors, omissions and changes without notice, and is not warranted as to its accuracy or completeness. You should not rely on the information contained herein, and should rely solely on, and carefully read, the appropriate offering and related subscription materials relating to any specific investment product before making any investment decision.
Not all investments are suitable for all clients. It should not be assumed that any security listed or any recommendations made in the future will be profitable or without loss, including risk of loss of principal, or will equal any prior performance. All investments involve the risk of potential investment losses including the potential risk of loss of principal as well as the potential for investment gain. Further, the prior performance figures indicated herein represent portfolio performance for only a short time period and may not be indicative of the returns or volatility each portfolio will generate over a long time period. The performance of the portfolios should also be viewed in the context of the broad market and general economic conditions prevailing during the periods covered by the performance information. Any references to future returns/risk are not promises of the actual return the client portfolio may achieve. Before investing, investors should seek financial advice regarding the appropriateness of investing in any securities of investment strategies discussed. Not all investments are suitable for all investors.
The information herein is not legal, such as trust or estate planning, advice, or tax advice. Any such information is provided for illustrative purposes only and must not be relied upon without the benefit of the advice of your lawyer and/or tax professional. Lido specifically disclaims any liability from any reliance on such information. Lido is not a legal service provider or tax professional and does not offer legal or tax advice. Should you desire to obtain tax or legal services or advice, you must enter into your own, independent
engagement agreement with a licensed attorney or tax professional.
Lido specifically disclaims any and all liability arising from the information or illustrations presented in these materials and is not responsible for the consequences of any decisions or actions taken as a result.